There are two ways to aromatize oils:
- The oil is thrown in favorite herbs remaining these covers and the oil is allowed to permeate the flavor after a while. When you remember, you move the bottle a little. After a while (a couple of weeks or three), we have the flavored oil. It may happen that white curtains are made because the oil has not completely covered the twig in question: that oil is sifted and be more careful next time.
- The other way is heating the oil at a temperature between 40 and 50 degrees, no more, that the aroma volatilizes. When it reaches that temperature, it is removed from the heat (or the thermomix is turned off), the herbs are added and left to infuse until the oil cools completely. Thus the aromatized oil is achieved at the time.
For these oils I use Picual Extra Virgin Olive Oil (soft), since the Royal Extra Virgin is too strong and the flavor of the oil takes hold. There are even those who aromatize sunflower oil, which has hardly any flavor, but this is not an oil so good for health.
The preparation is the same for everyone, it is allowed to macerate in the bottle and before being transferred to the glass bottle, it is tested. If it is very strong, it is mixed with unscented oil. The recipes are designed to make 2 liters of each oil, so we will aromatize one bottle of oil and the other we will use it to mix.
Spicy olive oil, for pizzas
1 liter of soft olive oil
8 or 10 cayenne
3 bay leaves
5 or 6 peeled garlic.
1.- Put in each bottle a small cayenne, 1 small or medium large bay leaf and two peeled garlic.
Rosemary olive oil, for the baked ternasco
1 liter of soft olive oil
3 tablespoons dried rosemary
2 tablespoons of Provencal herbs.
1.- Put in each bottle a sprig of fresh rosemary, previously scalded a few minutes in boiling water.
half a liter of oil
1 bottle of saffron they sell (2.5gr).
1.- Put everything in the bottle. It is impressive for octopus, rice and my husband loves it in mashed potatoes.
In the picture you can see that the saffron floats, but it is because I have moved it since the saffron is perched on the bottom of the bottle.
As the oil does not go for seasons, when you see an offer in the super of a good oil, you take advantage and buy it. There are hundreds of different combinations to aromatize oils, observe what is usually eaten in the homes of the recipients of your oils, and then you will find out their favorite flavors.
- The ideal oil for this type of preparations is the extra virgin olive oil of cold pressure, and there are even those who use sunflower oil because it is cheaper and has a milder taste. Ana uses the mixture of refined and extra virgin 0.4º…
- They can be used for maceration in oil, dehydrated products (we will tell you how to do it) or cooked.
- For Pesto Sauce, oil flavored with: garlic, nuts or pine nuts and basil is used.
- It is preferable to let the oil macerate without heating it since the oil can lose quality and get dirty, although it can be done.
- Always use glass jars for packaging instead of plastic ones. The oil dissolves some fat-soluble compounds in plastics that could be toxic. It is advisable that the oil does not give light and rest in a cool place.
- The oil will acquire practically all aromas after 7 days of maceration.
Notes * taken from the book “From the garden to the pantry”By Mariano Bueno.